There is nothing wrong with Heil micophones. I used them for many years.  What
I did not like were the headphones so I would mount the HC-4 and HC-5 booms off
of the broken headphones onto headphones that  I liked to wear and listen to.
Over the years I tried many different ones.  AKG-K240, Sony MDR-700 etc.

A number years ago I started using Bose QC-25 headphones because they have very
good noise cancelling and I have a window unit and amps with fans in them etc.
So I have just the kind of noise they do a very good job getting rid of - and I
would use them in CW contests.  But I did not have a good way to mount a mic to
them. K3LR glues a mount onto his Bose headphones.

But I kept looking for a mic - and after some searching I found the perfect
microphone for my use.

It is called a ModMic sold by Antlion Audio - and it has a small, strong magnet
that you stick onto the phones.  And then the boom mic attaches to that magnet.
 And it works great.  After doing a lot of tweaking and listening to recordings
made on another receiver I settled on some TX EQ settings on the K3 that I
think work very well and sound very good on the air.

The model is this one:

https://antlionaudio.com/products/modmic-uni-usb-sound-card
<https://antlionaudio.com/products/modmic-uni-usb-sound-card>

It comes with a usb sound card but you do not need to use that - it has a 3.5
mm plug on it that will connect to the rear mic input on the K3 and the K3 will
power the mic correctly when you turn on the bias voltage in the menu.

The TX EQ settings that I have settled on with this microphone are these:

1    50 hz    +3
2   100 hz   +3
3   300 hz     0
4   400 hz     0
5   800 hz   +5
6   1600 hz  +6
7   2400 hz  +4
8   3200 hz  +7

I tried settings that rolled off the low end in a few contests but for me this
is not work well - this gives me a fuller sound that I am much happier with and
I often get good audio reports from folks.

YMMV

George - K5TR