I run a KPA500 all of the time; essentially, I run a 500W transceiver.   I have never had an issue as you describe.  The only chokes in the shack are the ones molded onto the various computer cables that come with them.

Outside, I use a homebrew W2DU type balun (sorry Jim) at the feedpoint of my 40-80M inverted-vee and a commercial sleeve balun on my little triband beam.  BTW, both of these antennas are used off-resonance, tuned with a KPA500 in the shack for WARC bands. According to conventional wisdom, I do everything wrong. Grounding and bonding is a combination of single-point and daisy-chain.  I don't have pounds of ferrite on every wire, I use a switch mode power supply for all of the low voltage stuff and a Rigrunner distribution box.  And the whole station runs on a 120V 20A circuit.

I suspect that you have a rectifying joint some place.

Wes  N7WS