What is the fault? We see a lot of issues with antenna systems not being able
to handle the higher power, either 500 or 1500 watts. This can develop over
time or show up very quickly after the amp is installed. Be sure to check the
cabling and connectors for possible arcing.
In this situation, things would work just fine at low power, but not at high
power, with the exact symptoms  you describe.

73,
Jack, W6FB