Well, Mike, the difference between 2 watts and 4 watts is 3 dB or 1/2 of an
"S" unit on most receivers. Over the years I've run a lot of rigs running
from 50 milliwatts to 5 watts and worked a lot of stations. When I added
more power I made a lot more contacts and they were more consistent.

That's the way it is with power. More power = stronger signal <G>.

But many times, perhaps most of the time, a 3 dB or 1/2 S-unit increase, or
even an S-unit or two more, won't be noticed.

Now, I hate being sneaky with folks, but recognizing the foibles of us
Humans, I suggest that if you want to do some A/B testing, don't tell the
other station what you're doing. Just say you're making a little change and
you'd like to know if the other station can hear the difference. Don't say
what the change is, and most especially do NOT say you're reducing power.

I bet most of the time you'll hear the other station say you sound "about
the same" and don't be surprised if some stations tell you that your signal
improved.

It's probably a good idea to hedge about what you did if the other guy says
your signal increased when you reduced power! What happens, of course, is
that band QSB can totally mask what you're doing, helping or hindering you.

For most people out there, less power = weaker signal, obviously! So just
the statement that you are reducing power means the report must be lower,
right?

There are some exceptions to the rule: listen for other QRP operators,
especially those using homebrew or kit-built gear. They tend to be a little
less wrapped up in what they expect to hear, having been through all that
already, although I've met a few QRP operators who avoid giving an RST until
they learn what the other station is running because they don't want to give
someone running 100 watts a lower signal strength report than they got
running QRP!

Ron AC7AC