Michael,

I reviewed your prior description of your problem, and since you can
reproduce the problem with a dummy load - I would tend to believe it is not
an antenna or RF Feedback problem at all.  The fact that you get the ATU
into CAL instead of Tune does not mean it is an ATU problem either - the
menu entries are maintained and controlled by the main firmware on the KX1
board.

Further, since this does not happen with the internal batteries, I would
strongly suspect the problem source is actually in the external supply, the
connecting cord or the power connector itself.  Be certain the power
connector is the correct type there are several sizes of coaxial power
connectors that differ only slightly in size, so they almost fit, but not
good enough.  I would recommend a 16 guage wire size, not only because it
can handle more current and has less voltage drop, but will take more
physical abuse before failing.  Also be certain you have good low resistance
connections to the battery or power supply itself.  Poor power supply
connections and leads can result in many 'strange happenings' that seem to
be unrelated, so as a matter of course, I now check th epower connections
and supplies first in case of ny strange behaviors.

Whether you need 4 watts as opposed to 2 watts is entirely a matter of
personal choice.  Yes is is only half an S unit, but then it is 3dB less
too.  The real answer may depend on the other stations 'ears' and his local
noise level.  If his noise level is a couple dB above your 2 watt signal,
you are not likely to be heard, but he might hear you at the 4 watt level.

73,
Don W3FPR