From: Kimo Chun <kimoc...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, 21 May 2023 18:48
To: David Pratt <da...@g4dmp.co.uk>; ev...@pa2kw.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Rotary encoder

I am no expert on this radio. However, I notice that the part Evert is
referring to is not the same or type of encoder/part that David mentioned. I am
only going by the visual representation in the manual.

The E850239 is one of two identical rotary encoders used for VFO A and B. I
purchased a spare of that particular part. There is no part number listed in
the Assembly Manual for the HI / WIDTH control first mentioned. It appears that
part is one of several that are preinstalled on the E850242 Front Panel PCB
Assembly and is not normally available or installed as a separate kit part.

However, contacting the factory is advised if not already done.

1. They would be able to say whether it is advisable for that part to be
replaced in the field (granted, many people have the expertise and equipment to
do so).

2. They have been open to me and others with offering any parts (for sale) that
can be and/or in lieu of that, giving the OEM part they sourced themselves.
Those, in my case, were from Digi-key for which they provided their part number
purchased. Though not likely applicable in this case, one thing you might have
to investigate is whether the part Elecraft sourced is correct for small
quantity purchase and packaging format (not on a reel of SMD intended for
automated feeding and insertion). I"m injecting this though I don't know if
Elecraft does this. I think their contracted board assembly builders may.

The point is...ask the source. If you want me to phone them on your behalf I'd
be glad to do so (so no international phone call).

Good luck.

73, Kimo Chun KH7U

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 12:07 AM David Pratt <da...@g4dmp.co.uk