Eugene,

The KAT500 will work with almost any radio made in the last 40 years (or somewhat older), presuming the rig has I/O data available. If it doesn't read the band data from the radio ( on it's ACC port), there are still plenty of ways to allow it to do what it needs to do.  The utility is one feature that allows finer control or management.  But the KAT500 is serial port only for control purposes.  It doesn't have an ethernet or wifi system.

The following presumes that you have a serial (or other) port on the radio for it's control and this answer may be longer than you expect.

In the longer run (larger picture as your station develops), you'll want more than control of your KAT500.  You'll want to be able to log, manage mode changes, band/freq changes (rig control), turn your rotor, switch antenna ports on the rig or KAT500 and myriad assorted other necessary items.  Not all of the pieces are IP control but require USB or serial ports, like the KAT500.

You'll find that it's all much simpler to dedicate a computer (from Raspberry Pi, Arduino up to a full fledged top line gaming system) to manage the station tasks, hardware and software; even if you're sitting there able to mash buttons.  Simple just ROCKS and lowers the ... moments when things get busy or distracted and the brain makes mistakes (it protects you, a little).

I did that (ALL station elements managed) and it runs quite easily.  Then I ran the station equally as well, by operating the computer that runs the station, remotely.  Two factors present a challenge, an adequate audio path for phone/cw, and latency (the time it takes to get from the radio to your ears, ad vice versa, no matter the path).  (Remote can be across the room or anywhere with internet.)

I chose and use TeamViewer for computer control and Skype for audio.  (Like most hams, I'm cheap and those apps are free and available on many platforms which gives a LOT of options from phone, tablet or another computer.)  Plus your contact log entries are (correctly) from the station, not where you happen to be. I've run my stations while traveling much of NA and HI while on road trips and it's still fun and a great way to keep in touch with the local gang.

Depending on the OS of your choice, there are many options to choose from.  Windows has FAR more options for the moment, the rig control app of your choice, a good logging program (integrated suites do much of these), KAT500 utility (check/verify readings and override choices if more than one antenna), amp control if you have one (KPA500 or KPA1500 utility apps), rotor and antenna management (PSTrotator with the SteppIR functions) and if you want, an IP power switch for shutting it all down and/or rebooting. (A remote power on for the K3 or K4, when off, they are OFF.)

If you are a knob turner ham or a mouse clicker (or both), running the station is much easier when you integrate all of the aspects on one screen.  It allows quicker band changes (QSY and everything follows along) and a wealth of information on the screen, as well as the hardware displays.  You watch ONE place (the display), less movement required (except your eyes).

Wanna make a couple quick contacts from work during your lunch break or while visiting family for the holidays?  Now you know how.

Only have a tiny closet for the actual station hardware but no where to put the operating chair?  Now you can operate it remotely (be careful about heat removal in this case).

For now, you're working on the KAT500 with the utility; expand beyond that over time and integrate everything.  That means look at what you want the station to accomplish for you.  Wise choices now makes it simpler later as you integrate more.

And the answer to your question is yes, you'll want something to manage the KAT500 app, all the time.  But it must be via it's serial port.

Think bigger, go beyond.

73,
Rick nk7i