Andy, you do a great job of keeping me on my toes. But...

Indeed, it is NOT true that the KAT500 uses TTL signal levels for the serial
port. The KAT500 has voltage translation circuitry that allows for the use of
quasi-RS232 signal levels.
Quasi? Yes, the transmit data goes to +12 Volts, but it only goes down to
chassis ground levels. This actually gets the RS-232 specification which has a
transition band in the 1-2 volt range.
The receive circuitry is fully capable of translating RS-232 signal levels to
the +5, ground levels used internally to the KAT500. Note that the KAT500 can
receive TTL-level signals, but it does not drive them.

What this means is that if you were to drive TTL chips directly from the
KAT500’s data port you would probably have to replace a lot of those chips
until you realize they cannot withstand the +12V on their inputs.

So yes, the extension cable may be used. Just don’t use a high-capacitance
cable (which usually means a very long one), as the KAT may not be able to
drive the load on the far end.

73,
Jack, W6FB