"Indeed, it is NOT true that the KAT500 uses TTL signal levels for the serial
port. "

Ah, but I said "Isn't it true that the KAT500 USB cable uses RS-232 protocol
but TTL signal levels? "   Perhaps I should have been more specific.  My
recollection is that the USB/Serial cable transmits a TTL signal.  I have no
way to know the receiver characteristics of that interface dongle.  I did study
the KAT500 I/O schematic to understand that end of the connection.

Anyway, not posting to "keep you on your toes".  I was confused by this
interface when I first decided to work with it so didn't want people to assume
it was RS-232 compliant.

73,
Andy, k3wyc