On 12/2/2023 7:33 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
Most of them have almost no reliable voltage regulation either. They are typically designed for a certain load, and if they don't see that load the voltage is much higher than rated.  I've tested dozens of these things (I tend not to throw anything away) and it's fairly typical that a 12 volt rated wall wart power supply presents 16 to 18 volts (or higher) no load.  That can be death to a piece of 12 volt gear that doesn't draw much current.

Exactly right, Dave! I discussed in detail in the tutorial. Nearly all of the warts, lumps, and the equipment they power are labeled with voltage and current. My advice in the tutorial, with pictures, is break the DC cable, add Power Poles, and use one of the inline volt-ammeters to confirm that the PSU is within the safe operating range of the unit being powered. In the 20 years I've been making these replacements, I've yet to blow anything up!

73, Jim K9YC