My KXUSB cable suddenly went QRT a few months ago necessitating getting a
replacement. I initially thought the chip on the board had blown up, but it was
OK. I verified that everything was still good by throwing together a temporary
fix with a USB to 9 pin serial cable and a matching 9 pin to *MONO* cable. The
KAT serial port is MONO, not STEREO, as I (not so quickly) discovered,
prompting the time distracting blown chip theory/investigation mentioned above.

tnx
Mike / K5JR
Alpharetta GA

On Mar 11, 2024, at 7:11 PM, Mike Dodd <m...@mdodd.com> wrote:

On 3/11/2024 12:58 PM, Dave New, N8SBE wrote:
> There is a 3.5mm stereo jack on the back of the KAT500 labeled 'PC Data'.
> You need an Elecraft KXUSB cable, which is the same USB to serial cable used
> on the KX2, to talk to the KAT500 from your PC.

Right. That's what I've been using since I bought the KAT500. The utility
program does not connect to the KAT at any speed on COM3, which is what Windows
assigns when I plug the KXUSB into the PC.

73, Mike N4CF

Message delivered to k5jr.li...@gmail.com