Hello K2 experts!

I have a question about the CAT support - as implemented in the KPA100. Is there a CAT command
to set transmit power?

The situation is - the K2 is my main CW machine. It has two killer features: 1) It has true quiet diode-switched QSK. and 2) It fits perfectly under my two big computer monitors. So I can log & mill-copy. And also listen to the bands while I do work stuff.

You'd think that 100W was plenty for CW - but I have gotten some weak reports from stations that I could hear well. As a ragchewer, I prefer to be easily copy-able. I have a homebrew 1100W LDMOS linear, but I could not use it with the K2 - because the linear has no bandswitch. Instead, it relies on Yaesu "BCD" data from the radio. I wound up with this for two reasons - 1) Safety of the very expensive LDMOS device and 2) the touch screen that I have has a problem where touch does not work.

So I built a little box. I reverse engineered the Auxbus just enough to recognize band changes, and my box outputs the 4 "BCD" bits. Yeah I know that Elecraft markets a similar box, but where's the fun in that? My box has a Raspberry pi Pico.

Generally, operating barefoot I use 80-100W. But the linear would prefer that its drive be 17W or so. It's completely protected; if the drive is too high, it will just shut down. Then I have to press a button on the front panel to transmit again.

I was just thinking... if the CAT interface can set the power, I could have my little box do that. The Pico has a couple of UARTs, and one of them could talk to the RS232 port. So when I set my linear from Standby to Operate, it could tell the box, and the box could magically set the power on the K2 to what's appropriate.

                                 - Jerry, KF6VB