If I believe the ample info available from the ham community, the
Kenwood, while offering a lot of polish, is lacking in what I'd call
essential performance.  At the core, it's receiver does not do as well
as the K2 (or K3 presumably) at handling the dynamics of the current HF
bands and doesn't do as well at producing clean, pleasing audio.  In
exchange for giving up that basic solid receiver performance, you get a
lot more features that allow the rig to do things the K2 cannot.

Of course, that does not negate the validity of your point.  Yes, the
Asian rigs do offer features not available from Elecraft and to many
hams, their eye-candy appeal is too good to pass up, provided you can
check your critical ear and high standards at the door.

73 Jim & all!

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -