Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

   There are new chips that run with a 100 MHz clock.

And things seem to be getting better. The Analog Devices AD9951 can I understand be clocked at up to 400MHz, and I hear whispers about higher clock frequencies.
Hi Geof, I get the Analog Devices newsletter but have been remiss in reading it. But this assures we can clock the AD9951 at 100 MHz and then generate the transmit signal, and receiver first mixer signal for a 160 to 10 meter transceiver.

The relatively high 4.9 MHz IF of the single conversion Elecraft rigs is already excellent for image rejection.

Not so. Ask any European user and they will talk about Broadcast spurs that occur when a 350,000 Watt station is 1 hop away on the Image frequency.

Very true. Not much fun here looking down the throats of these monsters on 40m, most of whom use very big high gain antennas. The spurious responses above 7.1MHz in my K2's receiver cause a big problem during the evenings.

The latest mixers can help to stop this problem.

I'll second that, particularly in the case of the H-mode mixer.

I have read about the new Mixers and to be honest I do not understand the way they work. I'm 70 years old and my hobby is getting complicated. I last looked at double balanced mixers which seemed to be the best around.

   Well I will place H-mode mixer in Google and see what comes up.

This all means that the KX1 can be improved into an all HF band radio using the DDS tools now available. I think this change takes the KX1 out of the battery operated small physical size to something a bit larger. But maybe not too. It might be the same box as the KX1 but with more controls.

73 Karl K5DI

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD