Bill NY9H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I too would be interested to see how much additional ""distortionless""
average amplitude could be generated beyond the AD chip.

FWIW my guess is that if audio compression and true clipping is to be employed before the balanced modulator, it's an 'either - or' situation. If some of both is used, the clipper should I think be ahead of the compressor mainly to take advantage of the existing noise gate in the K2's compressor, but not a tidy arrangement. I still have the hunch that if a clipper is used as the 'main' audio processor, the compressor's compression ratio should be reduced.

To limit additional distortion could require a symmetrical clipper in the Tx IF together with the audio compression, but that is a very different story, and quite impractical as a mod to the K2.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD