Rain was forecast for the entire Saturday before Labor Day and there were no contests of interest so I decided to take the plunge and integrate the KXB3080 module into my KX1.

To start off, it was a challenge to remove the KX1 board as I was afraid of applying too much force. I eventually popped it out, something I was going to get quite good at.

I spent a good part of the afternoon slowly and carefully making the required changes to the KX1 board and then installing the 3080 board. I had already built the two boards, using the main board as a warm up for the KX1.

I powered up the KX1 after installing the module and enabled the two new bands. Everything seemed ok but, when I went to perform the current and voltage tests, found that my Radio Shack DMM had bit the dust. I probably inadvertently killed it. I've since gotten a very nice Meterman 37XR to replace it.

I took a leap of faith and decided everything was ok. I did save the LPF install for the next day when I would be fresh. This was a bit tricky but I soon had everything in place.

I used my XG2 to test and align 20M & 40M and peaked 30M using some wire. The XG2 was a big help during the testing. I had ordered it after having some trouble aligning the KX1 during the main build. I wish I had gotten it sooner but it definitely paid off here.

To my surprise, I was hearing signals on all bands. Now to put the kx1 board back and try out the transmitter.

Once in the case, I noticed that there was something intermittent as receive signal strength would suddenly drop out. Transmit power output was a fraction of a watt. I noticed that pushing on the LPF caused the drop in recieve signal so out came the board. I figured a short was causing both problems.

I carefully reviewed the LPF connections and found a couple of questionable solder joints which I redid. I also made sure the infamous L2-1 wire was away from the nearby pad. After these steps, the receiver was now solid and I could wiggle the LPF around without any problem.

So I reinstalled it and tried the receiver before tightening the standoffs. All ok. I tightened the standoffs and the signal strength dropped as before. I also found, when I put the bottom on, that squeezing the case would cause the intermittent problem.

I spent quite a few hours trying to isolate the trouble. I removed and reinstalled the board a number of times. There was no problem with the board out of the case. Only when I installed the board AND tightened the standoffs would the problem occur. I pretty much discounted the LPF after awhile because I could manipulate it in all directions without causing the problem.

I finally sent an email off to Garry at Elecraft asking for hints on what to look at. He suggested looking carefully at the LPF again and perhaps using some tape to isolate any apparent short.

Even though I had carefully looked here many times with magnifier and bright lights, I gave it another try. I also looked for possible solder bridges or bad connections. I reheated a couple of spots even though they pretty much looked ok.

The L2-1 wire looked clear of the pad but I decided to put a piece of tape between the wire and pad anyway. It was a challenge to cut a small enough piece to get down in there but I got it positioned and put everything back together.

Problem solved! Evidently there was just enough pressure on the LPF when the board was in the case to cause the short. It is a mystery why I couldn't make it happen out of the case. I guess it is possible that one of my reheats solved the problem, but I really don't think that this was the case.

Now I'm getting around 4 watts on all four bands. 20M output is slightly lower, as is 80M, with 40M and 30M a bit higher. The SOC, FISTS, and TN QP made a good testing ground this weekend and I made a number of QSOs, some on battery only. I still need to make my first 30M qso.

Despite my rather frustrating problem, I did not find this was as difficult as I had feared. The key was to go slow and be careful. One tip that Gary gave me was to tin the toroid wires in place. I wish I had had this advice sooner because I think it would've made for a cleaner install, plus it would've averted my problem.

Don't let the 3080 scare you. The KX1 was my first kit in many, many years and it was a very rewarding yet doable challenge. Now.. my Rockmite just came in the mail today so on to the next project.

73...Paul, kd2mx