Good Evening,
I am finally back home from work. The cat is fed and so am I. My email downloaded through its narrow dial up pipe so I can peruse the 361 messages of varying import. Yesterday's nets were interesting to say the least. Especially as it got dark and the strange denizens of the park got closer to my operating position. Luckily one of the other amateurs volunteered to stay but not too long. That is why the second net was rather short. We got the antenna down and coiled fairly neatly. The rest of the gear got stowed in a less than tidy manner. All was well when I unpacked so now I get to rebuild my home station. Luckily AC power was available at the park so it was easier to set up. Since the electricity ran through a buried conduit we were able to ground the station very nicely. This was one of my concerns. However I was right next to where at the food was being served so I had a lot of QRM during the first net. There was also a train which made a lot of noise and detuned the antenna. The antenna was a window line fed G5RV tuned through my normal tuner. It was mounted about thirty feet at the top of the V and about eight feet in height at the ends. I ran out of trees so made two wraps of wire around one end. Both legs of the doublet were shorted to ground through fir branches. As we were raising the antenna into position it was pulling itself off the handy limbs so it was gradually getting lower and lower. After all that I got on the air a few minutes late only to get great signal reports from Minnesota and Colorado. K1EV was coming in stronger than I'd ever heard him before. My normal hops were not where my signal was landing. I was told twice on the air (at least) and twice via email that I should work from the park more often :) Well maybe I will take the show on the road again but hope for more time to get the antenna set up more to my liking. The odd thing? N7NLU was very strong. We both found that quite odd since I was in Hillsboro and he was in Beaverton at approximately the same elevation. I've never known twenty meters to work NVIS. The antenna was low enough but he was less than twenty miles away. He wants me down at the park too!! I did get quite a few funny looks from the park regulars. Especially when I was shooting my sinker into the trees. Then the CERT folks wanted to know how a radio could possibly work without a microphone. They were asking questions while I was trying to send. So they would get part of the sentence meant for you and you would get part of the sentence meant for them. Quite confusing. But somehow or another I got through it without too much hassle. One of my helpers had his Novice license back in the '70s and has subsequently been relicensed as a Technician. I bug him about getting his Tech+ but he cannot find a callbook with his call in it for proof. I know there is a repository of call books somewhere in Oregon but I cannot remember where. Is it the FISTs club? Any ideas? This op was very interested in what I was doing. Hopefully we can reignite the fire which once burned within him. If you can point me in the right direction I will relay the information. Then he'll do the work to gain his General license and work on his code speed.

But, on to the lists =>

On 14051 kHz at 2304z:
N0BK - Bruce - MN - K2 - 3646     QNI #80!!
K1EV - Bill - CT - K2 - 2152
N0AR - Scott - MN - K2 - 4866
W6ZH - Pete - CA - K2 - 43
AA0NI - Dan - OK - K2 - 3421      QNI #10!  On a new antenna.
N7NLU - Karl - OR - K2 - 4227
KT5E - Jay - CO - K2 - 5037
N9SF - Bob - IN - K2 - 5308

On 7045 kHz at 0156z:
VE3XL - Ric - ON - TenTec Omni    QNI #115!!!
K6PJV - Dale - CA - K2 - 5345     QNI #5!
K4DXU - Bill - TN - KX1 - 702
KT5E - Jay - CO - K2 - 5037
N7NLU - Karl - OR - K2 - 4227     QNI #60!!

I may have made a few mistakes in the above lists but I was under less than favorable circumstances. Hopefully next time I take this show on the road I'll be working in a quieter location with an antenna mounted less precariously. Also there were a couple of signals I just could not pull out. Most of my QSB was induced by metal moving around my antenna. Either that train or the barbeque grill was detuning the antenna. Whichever it was there was deep fading when it occurred.

I'd better get back to setting up my radio gear so I'll be ready for tomorrow and the next evening.

Take care and stay well,
   73,
      Kevin.  KD5ONS  (Net Control Operator 5th Class)