[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have been following the 135 ft flattop thread with interest. I was running my
K1 into a 40m wire vertical via 100 ft of RG8x. After doing some loss
calculations, that seemed pretty silly,
   A 100 feet of RG8X is a looser for QRP.
 so I set out for a more efficient. arrangement. I just put up a 40m folded
dipole (same diameter wires) fed with 300 ohm window line. My K1 (with internal
atu)tuned it well, but rf reeked havok on the K-40 keyer and such, so I used
the BL2(4:1) balun and all seems well (probably time to do maintenance on the
shack rf grounding system). My question is this: Is there a way to measure the
insertion loss of the balun? Perhaps setting up my scope to do a differential
measurement on the output of the balun w/ a 300ohm dummy load? Also, I could
rig a way to sweep the antenna/window line with the antenna analyzer.
A balun wound on a toroid can have no more than 5% loss at 100 Watts. Just relax and use your antenna. It might be hard to load on 40 and 20 Meters but it should work ok.

73 Karl K5DI

Any suggestions?
72s,
Pete