Paul,

If you use a 50 ohm coax between the CP1 and the 'scope, you should use a 50
ohm termination right at the 'scope to achieve proper patterns and voltage
readings on the 'scope - the in-line type terminators work best in this
situation, and you would not use the CP1 built-in termination for this
situation since the termination is at the 'scope input.

A good method IMHO is to use a 10X probe (properly calibrated) on the 'scope
and place the termination right at the place where the scope probe is
placed - remember that this only works correctly with a 10x probe on the
scope.  If you place the 10x probe across the CP1 50 ohm terminator (with
the built-in terminator switched in), then the 'scope should read correctly.

The 'rule of thumb' (if I can generalize) in all cases of RF power (or
voltage) measurement is to attach the termination at the far end of any coax
used for the connection(s) - if the terminations is applied at any other
point in the system then erroneous readings are likely to result.  This is
just like antenna feedline considerations - if you connect an unterminated
chunk of feedline to an antenna, it will act as an inductor or capacitor
(depending on the length) and modify the voltage at the attachment point as
well as at the far end of the stub.  When doing RF measurements be certain
you have not created random stubs in the measurement connections.

73,
Don W3FPR