After spending some time modeling my antenna in EZNEC and then running some calculations in TWL, I added 30 ft to the feedline. That brings the total feedline length up to 90 ft. So far, the KAT2 seems to be able to tune all bands very quickly with the BL2 set to the 1:1 position. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

73,

Zac
KD5IEF

Zac Brown wrote:
Steve,

The feedline is actually 65 ft long. It happened to be the perfect length from the antenna to my radio, but I could add some more line in the middle if needed. I'd just have to make the feedline take a less direct path through the attic. What would you suggest as a good feedline length? 100 ft?

I read Cebik's paper at http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup5.html and was not sure if the 65 ft would be a problem on 80m. In one of the first tables in that article, he calculates the feedpoint impedance at 80m for my setup for a 57.7 ft feedline and then for a 72.1 ft feedline.

80   57.7     17.6     2450 + 770
100  72.1     22.0     680 - 1107

I figured that I'd be somewhere between those two, maybe around 1600 ohms, but I didn't do any calculations. I guess I was a bit anxious to get the antenna built and installed.

Thanks,

Zac
KD5IEF
K2# 4907

Stephen W. Kercel wrote:
Zac:

I'm guessing that the configuration that you propose could run you into all sorts of trouble on 80 M. The problem is that the 135 ft flat top would have low impedance, about 50 Ohms. The transmission line is disturbingly close to a quarter wavelength. A 450 Ohm line with an exact electrical quarter wavelength and a 50 Ohm load would have 4050 Ohms impedance at the transmitter end, and the KAT-2 would see it as an SWR of about 80:1. Even if your line is not an exact quarter wavelength, if it is within a few feet either way, the impedance that your KAT2 will see is very high.

You need to do a bit of studying with EZNEC and a Smith Chart. You need to find out the feedpoint impedances that the flat top will give you on all the bands on which you want to operate, and then find a length of 450 Ohm line that presents acceptable impedances to your KAT2/BL2 setup. This same set of calculations would tell you whether you are better off with a 1:1 or 4:1 balun (or it might show you that you need one balun for some bands, and the other balun for other bands). You may discover that no single length of feedline works for all bands 80-20 M. In that case you need to get a very big DPDT knife switch (Military surplus outlets carry them) so that you can switch an alternate section in or out to change the length of your line for different bands.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK