I carry my KX1 with me whenever I am kayak camping and always have a set of
Lithium AA cells in it with a small thin piece of plastic between two of the
cells to prevent accidental discharge.  My operating while camping is from
an external battery stashed seperately in the kayak.

My rig, a wire antenna and everything I need to operate as well as food for
a couple of days are packed into a wide mouth Gallon cooler tied to me just
in case I have an accident and I loose the kayak and gear.  It floats and I
always wear my PFD.