I'm not sure how crowded the 75/80M SSB band is at any
given time. I can speak on contest conditions on 80
CW. Basically you have 3 major DX contests that will
pack 80 CW: ARRL DX, CQ WW DX, CQ WPX (ARRL SS also
packs the band on this side of the pond). DX is all
over the lower 100 khz of 80, so the DX window in
effect expands.

I think contest conditions in EU are probably worse
than in NA. More major EU contests on more weekends,
so there is a different set of concerns.

Smaller contests in the US (QSO Parties), tend to run
in the 3530-3560 range. Although it can be busy, it's
rare that it is insane.

You have a number of groups that use that area as
well: FISTS, NAQCC, QRP to name a few. Most respect
the other groups activities and everyone seems to get
along just fine. They have been in this area for a
long time. The area is refered to on many sites for CW
and QRP enthusiasts. I think that should remain the
case.

I've not heard much digital activity between
3500-3600. I have heard lots of jammers, invaders and
general crud, particularly in the lower 25. No one
seems to be able to police them...

Frankly, I don't see why folks can't coexist
multi-mode with the changes. Of course, I tend to
think most folks are decent and flexible. Gradual
changes may happen, nets will stay or relocate as
needed. Forcing the issue will drive some away from
the hobby and cause bitterness in others, I don't see
it as productive.

Also, I don't see how it can effectively be policed,
even if mandatory changes were made. Peer pressure
works, if everyone signs on. Intentional jamming is a
big problem with many working on it, but in my 30
years as a ham, it seems like it has remained the same
or maybe become worse in some instances.

As to the increase in power on the WARC bands, I think
it is a mistake. 30 and 17 (12 is quiet most of the
time now) are almost as level a playing field as one
can find. Even the folks with a modest station have a
shot at rare DX. I guess I still like skill and luck
versus brute force.

Sorry to take up the space with my ramblings...

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn