Larry .

I have experience with a similar situation.  I'm also in a HOA restricted
development.  I put up an antenna in the attic here when I first started
operating from this QTH.  Basically a 17 meter doublet with 300 ohm
ladderline feeder that I can load on all bands from 10 to 40 with the
internal tuner in my K2 and an Elecraft balun.  My shingles are the more
normal asphalt type, but the exterior sheathing of the house has an aluminum
coating on one side which no doubt attenuates the RF some.  And of course
the antenna picks up more powerline noise and noise from household
electronics than would an outside antenna.

I've made a few hundred contacts on it on 40, 30, 20 and 17 using the 10
watts CW from my K2.  Haven't really tried on 15, 12 and 10 due to the
current sunspot situation.  So it will work.

That said, this year I got a Buddipole and set it up when I operate on a
temporary basis on the patio.  I most normally use it in a vertical
arrangement with a single counterpoise wire and an extra length shock-cord
whip assembly.  This will run circles around the attic dipole, especially
for DX.  At least 2 S units better.  And it is fairly low profile, so that
you might be able to get away with it as far as your neighbors are
concerned.  Within 10 minutes yesterday I worked the XF4DL DXpedition on 20
and 17 with the Buddipole and 10W from Colorado.  The day before I worked
them on 40.  The attic dipole has been effective mostly for stateside
contacts.

Another antenna I have that could be a possibility for you is a set of
base-fed verticals running up one side of the house.  You can feed them all
with one feedline.  The proximity of the house and the other radiators will
detune them, but a couple of hours with an antenna analyzer will sort
everything out.  I have the 40 and 80 meter elements running over the
rooftop in an inverted L arrangement.  By inserting some base loading, I can
use the 80 meter element on 160.  All this is VERY stealth - use the AWG 26
stealth black insulated copperweld wire and paint it to match your house.
Lay a few radials out on the ground and around your foundation.  The
performance of this arrangement here is about midway between the attic
dipole and the outside Buddipole Vertical.

The key is to be open-minded and experiment - you will find something that
works.  The attic dipole is a good place to begin and will always be a good
secondary antenna even if you find something you like better later on.

73

          . Craig AC0DS