Yes, Bob, W7AVK sent along this link:

http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl032/nsnl32mx.html

That info has never been confirmed as far as I know and they've been around
for half a century according to some reports.

Of course, the simple explanation is probably the right explanation: a
propagation beacon that tells various stations which frequencies to use at a
given time. Station "F" that's now on 7039.24 is supposed to be Vladivostok
which fits with the signal being heard on the west coast of the USA at this
time.

So I'll retract my use of "plausible" and instead say that I've yet to hear
a confirmed explanation.

Jack's right: the ones near the QRP freq on 40 are a darned nuisance.

Ron AC7AC