Hey Scott,

Maybe you *should* put that unopened kit on e-bay!  You could instead
buy another rig that is a true black box.  One that you can't get inside
of to fix and one that has a lower reliability rate.  Something less
mature with more issues.  And you'd get to spend more money in the
process!

Sarcasm aside, I understand your concern, but remember, this reflector
is like the Dr's waiting room.  If you hang out there you'll soon
believe that every one is sick.  What you see here is the list of
Elecraft stuff that people are having problems with.  Nearly all of the
"I'm having problems" posts are self inflicted issues.  Cold solder
joints, poorly prepared toroids, parts inserted wrong, assembly
instructions skipped, settings wrong, etc.  There are MANY people and
even some idiots like myself who were able to build the K2 with no
issues.  Worked right the first time and is still going strong.

How strong?  Strong enough that it has replaced the IC-735, TenTec Omni
V, Kenwood TS-830s as my only rig.

A couple of thoughts:

1.  Rework Eliminators - these are great.  Many of the K2 options
require a small mod to the K2.  If you don't want to do those mods, get
the Rework Eliminators.  With RE, you do all the option mods at the time
of initial build.  Then when you add options later, you indeed just plug
them in.  Sweet.

2.  Prewound Toroids - Another fabulous thing.  Toroids can be awk to
wind and tin.  If not properly tinned, problems with the kit go up.  For
a fair price, you can buy toroids already wound and tinned and they're a
thing of beauty to boot.  Small price to pay for a first class
construction job IMHO.

As to Elecraft building Junk, while their stuff isn't perfect
(surprise!), it is pretty darn good.  The K2 has the benefit of being a
well established design with a lot of miles under it's belt.  There have
been several minor upgrades to the rig and what we're buying today is a
refined, tried & true rig that has fabulous RX and TX performance and
far fewer issues or rough edges than many new commercially built rigs.
No key clicks on TX, no major issues on RX, no need to do HW reset when
the rig locks up, no problems with the keyer stealing cycles away from
the DSP, etc.

- Keith N1AS -