Scott,

Not to worry - Your recently ordered K2 contains all the latest
modifications - and if ordered after the 2nd week of September, a KPA100 kit
has the latest update included too. All you need to do is follow the
instructions in the manual(s).

Elecraft has incorporated all the desirable changes that deal with normal
operation of the K2 in the basic design - only those with older K2s have to
consider whether they wish to add the upgrades or not.

As for the fuss about the KPA100 - it was found that a few folks had trouble
with an oscillation when 40 meters was selected, but this condition only
occurred for some folks and only occurred when the KAT100 was being used as
well.  In any case, if you have not yet received your kits, the new design
is included.

One thing that Elecraft has done over the life of the K2 (and other kits) is
to ship the new units with the changes included, and also to offer an
upgrade kit to those with older kits so that they may be upgraded to the
latest level.

I have K2 SN 00020 from the initial K2 Field Test, and I have kept it up to
date with all the revisions.  I will put my SN 00020 up against any new K2
and would expect it to perform just as well as the new ones - it is
electrically compatible and I can also say that despite all the upgrades, it
does not look 'messy' by any means.  That speaks of quality in the initial
design as well as added quality in the subsequent mods.

Yes, there are other mods that are not included in the current K2 design.  I
would point to the N0SS tuning indicator and to my K2 Fixed Audio Output.
These add operating enhancements to the K2 that can be added if desired, but
they are not for everyone.  If you have special needs, then you may want to
consider some of these mods, but some change the operation of the K2 in ways
that may not be applicable for most operators.  A good example of a mod
which changes the operation of the K2 is the CW PTT mod which I authored -
it defeats the QSK operation of the K2, but is a great help to those who
need to prevent RF output until something else happens, such as the VHF
folks who run a sequencer to transfer pre-amps and other devices before RF
can be applied to the transmit chain.  Choose from these mods if you have
needs that match the purpose of the mod - they are not for everyone.

73,
Don W3FPR