Steve,

The first thing I would do is to connect the TNC-S PIC modem to the FT8100,
command the TNC to activate transmit and then measure the voltage at the
base and collector of the 2N2222.

The 2N2222 should be conducting, so there should be only a small voltage at
the collector - the base should measure about 0.7 volts.

Then with the FT8100 alone, measure the current in the circuit that you
ground for transmit.  The 2N2222 should be able to handle up to 800 ma in
the collector, but the Hfe parameter may be limiting it.  The metal can
2N2222a has an Hfe of 35 or more which requires at least 1/35th of the
collector current to be driven into the base for saturation (i.e. if the
collector must stay saturated with a 35 ma collector current, you must drive
1 ma available into the base) - your TNC's 10 k resistor provides a current
limiting function for the base current - reducing the 10k value should
increase the base current and allow the collector to handle more current
without coming out of saturation.

It is possible that the 2N2222 does not have adequate base current to sink
whatever current your FT8100 requires to activate transmit - you could
reduce that 10k resistor  in the 2N2222 base circuit to allow a greater
current to flow in the collector.

You could swap a 2N7000 for the 2N2222, but that may also require an
adjustemnt of the current base resistor and may require rearrangement of the
circuit currently driving your 2N2222 - any problems with the 2N7000
operation are likely to be with the OFF state (it may be turned on all the
time) - the real answer depends on the rest of the circuit in your TNC - in
the ON condition, the 2N7000 will conduct easily, just put a voltage on its
gate.

73,
Don W3FPR