I've noticed the same thing about audio level,
especially out of the headphone jack. The rear speaker
jack seems to provide a higher audio level, so you may
want to try that. While I've not looked at the
circuitry involved, my guess is that the headphone
audio circuit does some attenuation of the audio, to
help keep from blowing out your eardrums when a loud
static crash or other noisy/loud signal pops up.

One other thing, if you're using your PC's
on-mainboard built in soundcard, consider using a
dedicated soundcard. Even a low end Creative soundcard
is infinitely better than the built-in card. And of
course, go to the manufacturer's web page and download
and install the latest driver updates.

   72 de N8PVZ
     ---bernie

 <snip>