I have an SG-231:  its manual states that it can be used in a loop, one
end to the 'hot' terminal and the other to the 'ground' terminal.
  Would there be a significant difference using a balanced tuner?

Ian, I also have the 231 and it is an unbalanced tuner.  I tried it with the
Cobra Extra light Jr. on 80 meters and had RF all over the place.  I bought
the MFJ manual balanced tuner, and problem solved.  The 231 is actually
designed for long-wires or verticals.  It will work on loops and all, but
with mixed results.

Now, the 231 is in my trunk with a very short lead to a 102" whip and it
works very very well.  I think Palstar has some type of auto balanced tuner.
Tom W6EIJ