Stan,

That is quite unusual to have the S-meter at an S-3 level with no antenna on
only one band - that would be an indicator of some internal signal being
picked up inside the receiver.  That is not typical, so you do have
something abnormal there.

One potential source is 2nd harmonic radiation from the 5.068 mHz oscillator
in the AGC IF (on the control board) and is being picked up by the receiver
front end, but that is only a guess - you may want to examine that area to
see if it is well soldered and try to clip any leads that may be acting as a
short antenna.  I have never observed a similar condition on any K2, so it
is not characteristic of the receiver design.

OTOH, if you really have a strong signal source at your location, it could
be picked up even with no antenna connected.  Try shorting the antenna and
see if that lowers the level - if it does, look for your local source of
radiation.  Try another receiver to see if it also picks up 'bad stuff' in
the 30 meter vicinity.

73,
Don W3FPR