For those of you with no interest in QRP contesting, delete now.

When I'm qrp, I frequently (almost incessantly) sweep the band over
and over and over looking for new contacts.  My method is to start at
the bottom (say, 14000) and tune up towards the top.  At some point, I
decide it's time to go back to the bottom.  With other rigs, this is
pretty easy (memory recall with the push of one button).  Not so easy
with the K2.

I've tried pushing the RATE button and tuning back down at the 1kc
rate; fast, but not precise (I often overshoot).  I've tried direct
data entry; too many pushes.

So the method that I've settled on (which I bring up now since "vfo b"
has been in the news here) is to set VFO B to the bottom on every band
(28000, 21000, 14000 etc).  I use VFO A to tune the band.  When I get
"to the top" or otherwise decide to get back to the bottom, I push A/B
(to get to VFO B), then A=B, then A/B (to get back to VFO A).  I can
do this really quickly (I don't wait for the display...I just push
three times as fast as I can); certainly less than one second total
duration.

This works really well for me and is probably "as fast" as any other
method on any other rig.  Certainly, it is much faster than the other
methods I've tried on the K2.

Give it a try!

Of course, I only do this during a contest.  Otherwise VFO B is kept
functioning as a 2nd vfo.

de Doug KR2Q

back to the 10m contest (at least they say it's a contest this weekend)