My LCD monitor (now long out of production) was indeed a lot less noisy than the old CRT model. My LCD screen came with a small switching 12 volt power supply, though, and it generated a lot of hash by itself. I finally replaced the little switcher with a linear (non switching) power supply to cure that contribution to noise. The only noise now coming from the monitor is from the video signal coming from the video wiring and there is nothing to be done about that but it occurs only here and there in the spectrum and is rarely a problem.

I would predict that most LCD monitors are far less noisy than the old CRTs but be prepared to deal with the broadband switcher noise from the cheap little power supplies that come with the new monitors.

Don K7FJ

Mark J. Schreiner wrote:
The most noise I had and eliminated quite easily was my computer monitor which was replaced about 1 year ago with an LCD monitor, WOW, big difference!

I have been considering a switch to an LCD monitor, but since finances will lead me to buying the cheapest thing I can find, I have hesitated. I would like to hear any 'specific' models/manufactures pros and cons for 19" LCD's other use.