Kieth,

Good work.

On your antenna tuning situation on 40 meters - it may be that the feedpoint
impedance is outside the range of the KX1 tuner.  Yes, the range is limited
by the necessity of small things - and to further compound the situation, as
the frequency does down, the impedance matching range of the tuner (any
switched L network tuner, the LDG included) is reduced.  So it does not say
the tuner is 'broken', it just says that the KXAT1 range may not be
sufficient.  You can try adding (or subtracting) a few feet of feedline at a
time to see if the tuning situation improves.

73,
Don W3FPR