Jim,  Glad to know that I was not the only one to make this mistake.  We have
been trained well to cut pins after soldering.   Thanks for you offer of the
chip.  Mine is the very latest since I also have the uninstalled 30/80 kit I
ordered at the same time this summer.  The number label on the chip is KX1
1.02.  I appreciate your kind offer but I'll just order a new chip and socket
from Elecraft and not rush this job.

Glen,  I appreciate your advice about breaking up the old socket to help save
the circuit board in the de-soldering process.  Don't have a vaccum pump just
the cheap hand (RS) spring loaded type so hope it works.

This is why I love the Elecraft Group always a great bunch of people ready to
help  when needed and when not I enjoy and learn from all the posts well most
of them.

73 to all

Bob

WA4MQW

k4zm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Bob:

I did the same thing on the first KX1 I built.  I ordered a new socket from
Elecraft and replaced it.  If you decide to remove the socket, be sure and
cut up the socket on the top of the board so that you can remove the pins
one at a time. That way you will not damage the circuit board.  What is the
version on the firmware?  I have several chips that I have removed from KX1s
when I upgraded them with the 30 Meter board and the 80/30 meter mod.  I may
have one I can send you for free. The one I have is KX1 Ver 1.01 and I also
found a new socket in my parts box.  You are welcome to both.

73
Jim Younce K4ZM