I agree that's part of the dynamic at work here. But I also think it's no
different than any other used piece of equipment. I am willing to pay 50% to
70% of the retail price for a current model of some piece of electronic or
computer equipment. I might go as high as 80% if it's a hard-to-find item.
Above that, the benefits of buying new outweigh the savings -- that is, I
get a warranty of some kind and I get to know I'm the first owner so I know
how the equipment has been used.

That maps pretty well to what I see with the Elecraft kits. People count the
kit price as the retail price, and discount from there. I think the fact
that someone has been successfully using the K2 for a year or two is proof
that it's built well enough, and I think some people figure the builder is
more experienced than they are, otherwise they wouldn't have built a kit. So
the same market forces apply and people tend to pay no more than about 80%
of SRP for a current piece of electronic gear.

I believe, but can't prove for sure, that radios sold here on the list
command a higher price than when sold on eBay. It's hard to say since I
don't have the same visibility into the final selling price when the item is
sold privately here on the list.

Craig
NZ0R