Fred,

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a KPA100 in an EC2 enclosure.
If you also add the KAT100-2, the KPA100 plugs into the KAT100 board.
Without the KAT100, you have to make a hole in the EC2 rear panel for a coax
connector (KPA100 input) and make up a cable from the base K2 AUX I/O DE9 to
the KPA100 AUX I/O DE9.  Not difficult at all.  It does require the KIO2 (or
a substitute) in the base K2 - only 4 internal K2 signals are connected, no
RS-232 signalling is involved on the path.

A tenfold increase in power is 10 dB - dB=10log(P2/P1).

73,
Don W3FPR