Tnx Don

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I DO have to reduce the
volume greatly when using the headphones. From my perusal of the schematic
for the K2, it looks like if I changed R36 it would change the AF level on
both the speaker AND the phones...NOT what I *think* I want. It looks like
R35 (a 82 ohm resister) is in line with the AF feed for the phones. Does
this look right??
On Phones I use a sidetone level of 25...on speaker I use a sidetone level
of 140....is it possible to deduce from this what a good value of resister
would be for R35??

              TNX for the help!!   73...de...Fred  N9TA
Fred,

Since you are reducing the setting of the AF gain control when changing from
headphones to the speaker?  If so, that is the reason in a 'nutshell' - the
level of the sidetone is not controlled by the AF gain.

So, if you set the sidetone level to be correct for your speaker volume,
then it will be too loud when you reduce the AF Gain for use with the
headphones.

I would suggest that you try increasing the value of R35 and R36 on the K2
RF Board so you do not have to reduce the AF Gain as much when using the
headphones - or switch to a less sensitive set of headphones.

You can also just change the sidetone level in the menu (assigned by default
to the  PF1 button) when switching from speaker to headphones.

73,
Don W3FPR