When I built K2 # 54xx last May 2006, I had high
hope of eventually sending the completed K2 back into
"Elecraft's Service Dept" and having it aligned and
checked over by the experts.  I would have been
willing to spend that extra $$$.

But - Elecraft Inc. said NO.  At which point I came to
believe that Elecraft Inc. has no service dept.

Sounds like a good opportunity, for us 5800+
K2's alone - to offer this professional factory
service.  I've often felt - should the 4 or 5
experts on the email list - ever drop out or
go away, we'd be left fully on our own!  Possibly
the K2 email list archives - would helm us through
these troubled waters.  Or other experts would
surface.

Luckily, my K2 build came thru with flying colors,
and with the help of Spectrogram - even the filter
setup, went seemingly well.

But the notion, that "many K2's are out there in
poor alignment and in poor performance shape" - is
a little scarey.

Do you remember the Heathkit Color TV Kits?  It was
a handfull to build, and it too even had its own
test and alignment circuits inside.  I don't recall
what Heathkit's position was on Service Department?
(Benton Harbor, MI)

Happy New Year,
Fred, FL