> second, if the RF gain control is turned or touched at all, the rig
> immediately goes silent and all the bars in the bar-graph meter are
> illuminated.  Over a period of about three seconds the bars are
> extinguished, from right to left, and the sound comes back up.  The
control
> itself works in limiting RF gain normally, depending on the position to
> which it is turned.

Mine was like that a long while ago also. If I pressed it inwards while
slightly rotating it, it was OK. I remember reading in the archives that it
probably needed replacement, but thought that I had nothing to lose by
spraying it with contact spray.  The spray solved the problem and has done
so for probably a couple of years and at least 1500 QSOs. If you want to try
this then the front panel needs to be removed to access the pot.

73

Sverre
LA3ZA
http://www.qslnet.de/la3za/