Ron D'Eau Claire wrote at Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:33:23 -0800
"Another, probably less messy, approach is a few drops of DeOxit into the pot
either along the shaft (that's the usual ingress) or, if there's any gaps
around the electrical contacts or case in back, in there. DeOxit comes in a
small squeeze bottle with a very fine metal tube applicator."

DeoxIT® is the wrong chemical to use on carbon/plastic sliding contact
controls!  It may ruin the film resistor and/or its subtrate.  The proper
cleaner/lubricant is DeoxIT® FaderLube, which was sold as CaiLube MCL.
I've been using the latter product professionally for more than ten years
with excellent results.  See the following on the Caig web site for more
detailed information:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

I've also used DeoxIT® and DeoxIT® GOLD on rotary switch and relay contacts
with good results over the same time period, both professionally and in my
amateur radio equipment.

Usual caveat: I have no connection with Caig other than as a satisfied
customer.

73
Gary, N7IR