Don,

Maybe my thinking is too simple. But here goes. I believe that we both have indicated that quarter wavelength can eliminate RF in the shack among other RF problems caused by less than a perfect antenna system. I believe that we also agree that a half wavelength does not do that. Therefore, a half wavelength ground wire has no positive influence on RF problems. That indicates to me that I should avoid half wavelength ground runs as they have no positive influence on RF problems. I would guess in the world of amateur radio there are RF problems that are not recognized. Half wavelength grounds runs do nothing to clear up those problems. Of course, the real solution is to have an adequate antenna system. You can bet that in commercial systems a proper antenna system is used.

Jim, AB0UK

From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "JIMMY D HARRIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: In Shack Radials and Ground
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:23:09 -0500

Jim,

The way I read your post was that half wave lengths of wire to the ground
rod are things to stay away from.  Perhaps I mis-understood your intent -
but you did say to stay away from ground rod runs that are a half wave or a
multiple thereof, and that is the incorrect part.

Yes, the run to the ground rod can radiate - but that is not necessarily a
bad thing.

The really best place to create the RF Ground is at the antenna (or its
feedpoint), but not all folks are blessed with a controllable situation and
must resort to other 'cures' like tuned counterpoise wires.

I have no RF in the shack problems here, all my antennas have an effective
RF ground as an integral part of their design (no OCF antennas here), and I
have to suffer with a 150 foot run of coax before I get to the distribution
point going to the antenna field.  It keeps the RF out of the shack, but
requires low loss coax runs.

73,
Don W3FPR

7:30 AM