Perhaps you are being a bit "hard" on the poor half wavelength, Jim!
Actually, the "villain" in your scenario is the 1/4 wavelength wire, not the
1/2 wavelength wire. But they are both really good "guys" around the shack!

A wire that has RF flowing along it with show a range of impedances from
high to low, depending upon its length in wavelengths. The earth shows a low
impedance to RF. A wire connected to the earth will show an impedance of,
essentially, the resistance of the connection to the earth. At HF and using
a simple ground rod, you can expect this resistance to be several hundred
ohms, typically.

If you connect a wire to that ground and feed RF into the other end of the
wire, current will flow into the ground provided the wire is very short in
terms of wavelengths - say less than 0.1 wavelength long. That's about 40
feet on 160 meters, 20 feet on 80 meters, but only 5 feet on 20 meters and
2.5 feet on 10 meters. Those are *maximum* practical lengths for a ground
wire if you don't want the length to play a significant role in the circuit.
As the wire is made longer, you must consider the length to understand what
to expect.

With one end of the wire grounded, 1/4 wave away from the ground the
impedance, and RF voltage, will be very high. At the highest it can be under
the circumstances, actually. One quarter wave further along - 1/2 wave from
the ground connection - the impedance and the RF voltage will be the same as
it is at the ground connection! That is, whatever impedance is present at
one end of a half wave length of wire, it will be "repeated" every 1/2 wave
along the wire. So  a 1/2 wave "ground wire" would be perfect! But only
where the wire is 1/2 wave long. If that were the case, say, we used a
32-foot ground wire on 20 meters, it would be an effective ground
connection, but on 40 meters the 32-foot wire is 1/4 wave long. Remember,
the impedance will be very high 1/4 wave from the ground, so now the rig
would be at a high RF voltage because of that same 'ground' wire that worked
so well on 20.

Suppose we disconnect that 32-foot wire from the ground stake when we're on
40 meters and isolate the far end. Isolating (insulating) the far end forces
it to be at a high impedance instead of the low impedance it saw connected
to the earth. If the impedance at the far end is high, then the impedance at
the rig *must* be low! Now that wire provides a rather good RF ground for
the rig!

For most of us, it's easier to arrange a 1/4 wave ground for each band that
is isolated at the far end than it is to arrange 1/2 wave length wires on
each band that are connected to the earth, but either one will work equally
well.

Remember, the impedance repeats every half wave along the line: what you
find at one end repeats at the other end. That's why both ends of a half
wave antenna are at a high-impedance point and the center, 1/4 wave from
each end, is at a low(er) impedance point.

The impedance of a 1/4 wave wire inverts. That is, if it's high at one end
(insulated) it will be low at the other end.

Ron AC7AC