Mike wrote:

>Actually, the 9834 is now spec'ed to 75MHz.

I believe that's only since mid-2006.  Most of the installed base of AD9834
chips would be 50 MHz rated.

>Problem is finding oscillators.

That's seems to be very true if one searches on-line catalogs.  The one for the
KX1 comes pre-installed on the PCB.

>a few folks have...put their rigs on higher bands--12M being
>the highest due to Nyquist considerations.

It makes one wish for a "KX2" that was designed to provide up to at least 17m
and 15m coverage.  Those are excellent QRP bands when open.  I'd also like to
see a four-pole IF filter in the receiver, and a little more wide-range for the
internal antenna tuner.  That rig might actually compete with the K1 for my QRP
rig affections.

>So yes it could be done, but you would have to write
>new firmware for the KX1 and somehow grow some more
>space for the extra filters and relays that are gonna
>be neccessary. I don't see it as being practical.

Not at all practical.  That's why a non-trivial alteration of the KX1 design
would be required, enough to warrant a new model number, I think.

73,
Mike / KK5F