HI all:

K2VCO has come closest to answering the question actually asked.

I suspect that you "heard" this from contesters (like me) during
serious Multi-Op/Multi-transmitter operations.

Since these M/M stations operate all bands all the time, if a
"multiband" antenna is used anywhere, it will be better at "picking
up" signals transmitted on the other bands.  Things in this very tough
RF environment are often experienced in the shack as what we love to
call "noise."

As Vic correctly indicated, it depends on the front end of the rig
(the band to band filtering).  Some older rigs used a common "front
end" filter for (say) both 10 and 15.  A big concern with these big KW
stations is blowing out the front end of any rigs hooked up to
multi-band antennas.  That's why they typically use coax filter to
"cut off" the frequencies for the bands that they are not operating on
(at a M/M station, you typicall have one full station for just one
band...never any band switching per rig).  Even if not "noise" from a
transmitted ham signal, those type of front end arrangements will pick
up more QRN type noise, which generally is not too frequency specific
(covers lots of frequencies).

Unless you're in a very high RF environment, I doubt that you'll ever
notice the extra "noise" transmitters.  I'll leave the "technical"
aspects of the "front end" of Elecraft radios to the Elecraft circuit
gurus here (not me!).

de Doug KR2Q