From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Van
Wallaghen
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:33 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net; 'Siu Johnny'
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] W1 stand

Hi all,

I made a custom enclosure for my W1 and AF1 out of Lexan that I picked up at
Home Depot. I purchased some IPS Weld-On 3 and some soft plastic glue backed
feet from TAP Plastics www.tapplastics.com . The Weld-On 3 is a solvent that
when applied to clean joints of acrylic, plastic and in my case Lexan, welds
the joint together. This was my first time in dealing with acrylic plastic
construction and I found a couple of instructional videos on the Tap website
that explained how to construct and "weld" projects together.

I ordered the straight through BNC connectors for my W1 and mounted them and
the battery holder on the back of the board. I also obtained a round pushbutton
switch from an old computer and mounted it to the side of the battery case,
flush with the side of my box and wired it to the power pads on the PCB.

I designed the box so that it was split in half in that the top and bottom of
the box had an opposing side panel welded to it with the ends welded to the top
(in an L fashion). The PCB is mounted to the top with standoffs. I then used 4
2-D fasteners and 4-40 screws from Elecraft to secure the halves to each other
(maintaining the fine Elecraft tradition). If I had drilled the holes correctly
for the 2-D fasteners, I would have to only remove 4 screws in order to gain
access or replace the battery; instead I have to remove 6 screws ;-)

I did the AF1 first as a first test of my skills. I made many mistakes in
constructing the first version but learned enough to build an entire second
enclosure. It is not perfect (the PCB is slightly offset in the enclosure), but
it is sufficient for my needs at the moment and does not slide around on the
desk.

The W1 was a little more challenging in that the measurement tolerances for
fitting the PCB inside the enclosure left very little room for error. But, I
managed to get it put together the first shot with only a few small cosmetic
things I would change. I did construct a small tilt stand out of Lexan for the
W1. It has about 15 degrees of tilt. I mounted the soft plastic feet to the
stand and to the W1 so that when it is cradled in the stand it is very tough to
move. Not sure how it would work out in the field, but seems pretty sturdy on
my desk.

I cut all of the Lexan on my table saw or a small band saw. I also drilled all
of the holes with my drill press. There are special saw blades and drill bits
for doing this kind of work but are somewhat expensive. I was able to get a
pretty smooth edge using a higher density toothed saw blade (plywood blade)
although there is a warning of melting the edges with some blades. It is
imperative that the edges to be welded are smooth and free of gaps. Same
caveats apply to drill bits as well. There is also a way of getting
professional looking final edges by using a map gas torch along the edge in
question. I have yet to try that. For my purposes, they look ok.

I have pictures that I can post. I'm trying to get a personal web site up in
the next couple of days. I will post the address here and get some more
detailed pictures of the enclosures if anyone is interested.

Have fun & 73,

Dave W8FGU