The N2PK is an awesome piece of gear for the money. I have several friends with them. I also have one sitting in a box waiting to be built. That project got scuttled when Jack, K8ZOA found a couple of surplus HP VNAs that we both bought. He already had his N2PK built, and another HP as well, but I am now too spoiled to finish the project ;-) I also have one of his Z90 Panadapter kits sitting in a box. I had his prototype for awhile last year, and showed it at Dayton... a really nifty kit, and I definitely want to finish that project ;-) His manual is awesome... like a cross between Elecraft and Hewlett Packard... should be a snap to do when I get to it. Jack's website is www.cliftonlaboratories.com. K2 owners should bookmark it. There is plenty of good K2 test data there, as well as some K2 specific construction stuff.

The TAPR VNA that Ten-Tec sells is pretty decent, but pricey, and requires a PC. Ditto for the W5BIG which looks like a good design.

I can see maybe a nice, small unit... simple, smooth, handy and accurate.

73,
Larry N8LP
www.telepostinc.com

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Larry,

A kit is a great idea!  Avoid temptations for an instrument that tries to do
everything and ends up doing many things poorly.

I had hopes that the AMQRP Micro908 kit would be a better replacement for my
MFJ259, but alas, it is very inaccurate for impedances that vary much from
50 ohms resistive.  IMHO, its bridge needs a total redesign to make it a
useful instrument.

Of course, the N2PK VNA should be a great instrument if I can ever get
around to completing it, but it is not a tool to use at the top of a tower -
it needs the computer attached to be useful.

73,
Don W3FPR