From: Ron D'Eau Claire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:43 PM
To: McMillan, Terry; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2: st L How loud?

Since you can change the frequency and can hear something, the places to
look are the AF Amp, U9 and sidetone source Q5/U10B.

I'd start at the AF amplifier and make sure +12 is present at pin 7.

If so, next I'd take a close look at the soldering. Did you miss a pin?
Is there a short? A common place for a short seems to be around the
headphone jack pins on the board.

Next, are electrolytic capacitors C32 and C33 oriented correctly?  If
reversed they could ground the input of U9 or the output of U10B for d-c
through L1.

Do you have 8 VDC at pin 4 of U10? That's required for the sidetone
"driver"
to provide the correct levels.

Ron AC7AC