Folks,

There is an error in the reply I sent last night (below) that is very
important - it makes a big difference.

When increasing or decreasing the frequency to determine the sign of the
reactance:
One must observe the increasing or decreasing of the IMPEDANCE (Z) and not
just the reactance.

I had erroneously stated the reactance, and Larry helped get my mind
straightened out - make that impedance instead of reactance and it will be
correct.  In other words, when using an MFJ259B - look at the "Z" value when
increasing or decreasing the frequency, and not the "X" value.

The notes in the MFJ259B manual recommending how to determine the sign of
the reactance are placed under the instructions for measuring Capacitance
and Inductance, and they do state that one can look at the reactance value.
While that works fine for a pure reactance, it does not work for complex
impedances, where one must look at the magnitude of the IMPEDANCE (Z).

In other words, switch the MFJ259B to IMPEDANCE MODE and do the 'frequency
increase/decrease thing' before attempting to affix a sign to the value of
the reactance parameter.

73,
Don W3FPR