I did not mention that obviously, one has to watch both the impedance
variation and the reactance term to use my approximation to finding the sign
of the reactance.  Larry's antenna is a good exception to the performance of
simpler antennas.

Most ham antennas have well defined harmonic related resonances, and dips to
lower impedance at a resonance.  Another case where you might have a non
harmonic resonance is if you are measuring paralleled and non harmonic band
antennas such as a 15m dipole in parallel on one feeder with a 17m dipole.

If you are dealing with a one band or fundamental antenna, the rule of thumb
is not too hard to use.

Stuart
K5KVH