This might be a tough nut to crack in terms of the surgery required. From a quick thus limited investigation into this "clunk" problem in my K2 I am reasonably certain that the lack of shielding to protect the VCO and Reference, together with the lack of suitable interface filtering , is responsible. I don't think that the BFO is directly involved but I could well be wrong. In my K2 the "clunks" appear, as you say, in the presence of strong signals, and are found on every band that I have been able to check so far, 40m is perhaps the worst case. What appears to happen is that the strong incoming signals leak into the VCO / Reference area, and when their composite level exceeds some value, which is frequency and leakage dependent, attempt to take over control of the VCO which results in "clunks". The frequency separation between "clunks" is not always 5kHz but does seem to be related to the frequencies of the incoming signals which are attempting to take over. I must stress that I have not had the opportunity yet to undertake an in depth investigation, but I am very aware of the leakage between the front end and the VCO / Reference from earlier work with my K2. "Clunks" should not be confused with "Clicks" whose cause(s) are quite different!

Here the received individual carrier levels of the BC stations above 7100 kHz can approach -10dbm / -5dbm with an antenna looking East, and there are many of them. It is not uncommon for my K2's LO system to lock onto one of these carriers, and only let go after the receiver has been retuned about 1 kHz.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Darrell Bellerive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I agree that the synthesizer "tuning clunks" every 5 kHz in the presence of
strong signals needs to be addressed.

I know that Elecraft found that muting the receiver to eliminate these
noises was worse than the noises, but there must be a solution to at least
lessen these "tuning clunks."